Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Georgetown Gordie

My Mrs. and I ventured out to Georgetown ce soir to take in a plugged-in-unplugged intimate and interactive performance of Gordie Sampson. Kudos to Ward on making a good decision to bring him in as part of his summer fest.

The place? Georgetown... much maligned, and, well... I dunno. They may be slowly clawing their way back to respectability out there. Going to school with G-towners, they were the butt of most jokes (like how Father's Day is the most confusing day there), and they proliferated stories of their town's suckiness. I don't think it's ever been contested much in modern times. However... it has had some nice additions in recent years and is growing. The Playhouse has had some work done, and it looks very nice... and the neighbouring gardens are very nice. There's a beach and park down a street I'd never been on all the times I've been to G-town. It's one of those places I instantly love, like Victoria-by-the-sea. A very nice little spot. Also, tonight, we saw a bold silver fox in the gardens during intermission. All of these things make ol' G-town move a few notches up in my books. I shall try to remain neutral about them.

The show? Gordie was great. Just him and his geetar, and some banter in between every tune. He played a wide mix of new, old, covers, and stuff that is his that I can't find. And dammit, those were some of my fave songs of the night. Also, a guy I know, Glen Strickey, got to play some sax with Gordie on a couple tunes. A nice surprise. Also surprising was seeing an internet-first friend from the mainland in our (front) row. Colleen always seems to be 'round where there's good tunes. It's a miracle she can make it to all these shows the way she seems to forget her keys...

As for the "different" tunes... he closed with "Blackbird" (Very nice). A humourous tale, "Grampa's Remedy". "Will Ye Go, Lassie, Go". Also, songs called "Montreal" and "Fear of Flying", which I really liked, and hope I can find some day. There may have been a couple more non-album cuts, but those ones stick out right now.

All-in-all a really nice acoustic solo show. I think Gordie's right up there with the Sexsmiths and Cuddys of modern Canadian songwriters. See 'im while you can!

Interesting fact: he's a really good guitar player, especially since when I shook his hand, his fingers felt really little.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol - enough with the keys already! The girls at the front desk laughed when I told them that I shushed my sister from her "HEY THEY'RE YOURS!" exclamation... as easy as it would have been to reach up from the front row for them at the time, I chose the more subtle method of slinking out to the desk at break.....

You're right - Gordie Sampson put on a great show! And his songwriting talents are large. We worth the roadtrip and $40 at the bridge.

4:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home