Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, August 07, 2005

"Are You Ready"... for Blue Rodeo?


If I had to pick a favourite band, I think I'd say it was Wide Mouth Mason. I have the most history with them. I've seen them more than any band, gotten to know them over the years... but I haven't seen them at all in about... almost three years. That's just sad. Almost as sad as when Gordie Johnson told me he (and the rest of Big Sugar) would probably be back to PEI within the year. That was almost six years ago now, I think. Maybe seven. Then I look at a band like Blue Rodeo. They have come here three times in the last three years, I believe. They're to the point now that they are somewhat of a Canadian institution / iconic band. Yet, they come and play for us on our wee Isle, and seem to like it here. That, coupled with their top-notch tunage, sometimes makes me feel as if my musical allegiance is stretching their way.

I saw Blue Rodeo tonight for my third time. I was front and centre, mere feet away, and it was fantastic. I caught myself a couple of times looking, listening, and thinking about them individually, and as a group. They just may be the most Canadian band (going right now, anyway). What's that mean? Well, that there is something really "Canadian" about them. Maybe it's kind of like our identity as Canadians. We largely define ourselves by what we're not. They're not overly famous (yet they are). They're not obviously egotistical. They're not overly-produced (they play and sing just fine, thanks). They do have an average image / country-ish look, play a mix of rock, folk, and country... and they really can kick out a stompin' rock tune better than any other. Not RAWK, but kickin' stompin' rock. Their songs (and place in our culture) are somewhere close to the heart of Canadiana whether we all know it or not. It feels comfortable, familiar, and just really good.

Individually: Greg Keelor. Kind of like the John Lennon to Jim Cuddy's Paul. A little psychedelic, grey, visceral, gritty... sometimes almost oddball. Yet, I think he's the one I'd like most to have on my deck for a bbq. He seems interesting. Jim Cuddy... I think I like his tunesmithing a bit more. And what a voice. Yet, if any has an ego or temper, it may be him. At least Dave Bidini of the Rheostatics has written about him in that light when it comes to playing hockey (see "On A Cold Road" and "Tropic Of Hockey"). Bob Egan looks more like someone's uncle... but the man can play anything with strings. He 's done some great musical things (say, being in Wilco?) and met some great people (like, oh, Johnny Cash) . I think the addition of his pedal steel is perfect. Like how Daniel Lanois ("...I can play that steel guitar and make you cry") has helped U2's sound, Egan gives Blue Rodeo's music that extra emotion... and extra sense of space which mirrors that of the wide gaps of our country. Glenn Milchem is a fantastic drummer, and his style makes him fun to watch. He has also worked with some important groups, like Change of Heart, Andrew Cash, Colin Linden, and Big Sugar among others. To me, he's a major name in the Can-rock renaissance. Bazil Donovan... reminded me of Neil Young tonight. He looked frazzled and sly, rocking out in front of his amps save for singing one song. He's rocksteady, and just kind of likable. Tonight was the first night I saw their new keyboardist. I don't know his name, but he was stellar... sometimes swaying towards those odd chords like Keelor. Whoever he is, he's got mad skillz like Napolean Dynamite and seems to suit the band to a "T".

Well... how did the show ce soir go down? Some would be disappointed at the lack of some hits: "Try", "Rain Down On Me", "Bulletproof", and "After the Rain" were all absent, as were some others. I can see how that'd miff some people. I appreciated the variety, though. If they played only their best-known stuff each time, and did the same set every visit, I may see them twice and think "oh, that was the same", and that would be it. You just hope they play it next time. They played songs tonight and did things in ways they didn't do their last couple of visits. There were some similarities (lighting, how they did "Hasn't Hit Me Yet", etc.), but it was different overall. They played several songs from the new CD, and they all came off well. They turned "Palace Of Gold" into a totally different tune. They played a couple of acoustic songs with just Keelor and Cuddy on stage. They played right through a fire alarm. It was a good mix of old songs and new... slow and quiet with loud and raucous. Pretty with gritty. Keelor had some funny moments, and seems to inspire the most intense and odd fan hollering of the group, but the quote of the night went to a guy in one of the two rows in front of us. Between songs in the encore, right after "5 Days In May", it was dead quiet for a moment. He said plainly, "That was awesome", and I think everyone heard him. The crowd and band laughed and the band said thanks. The man was right. It really was awesome.

I know this has all come off disjointed and gushy, but I think it makes my point. They have made me a bit disjointed and gushy. Their songs are written and performed honestly and skillfully. They tour everywhere... and often. They possess some kind of intangible Canadian quality... we wouldn't be the same without them. How can I not like all of that? I just hope they continue to be as loyal to the area as they have been. I can't wait to see how they change things up and once more get some people hootin' and hollerin' in our city's refined theatre.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap, Steve - NICE homage to one of my favourite bands, too. I didn't get opportunity to be at that show (were you looking for me? ;) My sister was there.) as it's a busy time at work right now and the show was on Sunday evening...

...but you're making me wish I had bucked up and just driven home late.

11:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...you know, if I managed to hang onto my car keys and all...

11:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I see you got your Blue Rodeo cd signed, that's pretty damn cool. I was also at the concert, and had great seats within leg grabbing distance, although I refrained myself. My friend and I got signed playlists from Bazil after the show and he got us to come out back and get other autographs from the other guys. We also got pictures which was really awesome. Anyway, that's it...I just came across your blog from someone else's blog, and read your Blue Rodeo summary. Later :D

6:19 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Thanks for the kind words, Colleen!
I'll see if I can find you a mini-clapper for your keys. ;)

And "anonymous"... thanks for leaving some words, too. But who are you? A friend of MJ? I'd love to see some of those BR pics!
I saw Bazil outside before the show, but decided not to stop... and was going to ask a roadie for a setlist on my way out, but decided not to... ah well. I'm getting to be less of an imposer with age. I gotta stop that! I'm getting less cool stuff!

10:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, how are ya? I'm the anonymous poster...I have a blog but haven't updated in ages because well, it's the summer so I have limited time, and because I'm at home and have crappy slow dial up. When I'm back in Ch'town in a couple weeks, I'll be sure to put my Blue Rodeo pictures on my blog so people can see them. Did you happen to live in Blanchard last year? If you're who I thought you are, you lived across the hall from my friend Myanna. I was at the concert with her and her aunt last sunday. Anyway, my name's Holly! Later :D

10:30 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Hello, "anonymous Holly". Naw, I've never lived in Blanchard. Drank there, yes, lived there, no. What's your blog's address?

6:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home