Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, August 15, 2005

A Day In the Life...

Of New Brunswick? Yes, New Brunswick. We just kind of went on a whim today, to watch some relatives do some fancy dirt-bikin'. Of note:

Well, the motocross, of course (it was my first time). It was at a new track (B-series, not for points) near Port Elgin, called "Strang's". It was rainy, but it was still good, what we saw. Dwayne (C's bro-in-law) got 4th in one race, and we're not sure what he got in the other race. Still, it's good, since it's his first year. Morgan, his son, did pretty good, too, but he was a bit too nervous to really attack the jumps. I'd like to say no pressure, 'cause he's only... 9 or 10, I think... but his folks push him hard. It was fun to watch, especially the jumps. That and the kid who spilled, got his pants caught near the tire, and well... you can guess the next step. No ambulance needed, maybe just a belt.

The sign in Dieppe that says RUE PAUL ST. I love unintentional humour.

Jungle Jim's in Dieppe... I'd never been to a Jungle Jim's. I liked it. Plus, our waiter, aka "weeter", was a fun spaz. A nice spaz, but a spaz. He had the energy of a chipmunk on ecstasy and the personality of a floundering stand-up comedian. He was like some very happy yet nervous european without an accent. He'd try to joke around, and be all smiley, but he was too quick at it... it was like, "BAM!", so it wasn't funny. He seemed like he was trying so hard to be funny, but he could tell we were a tough crowd... which we really weren't. Well, OK, C's dad kind of tore a strip off him because they didn't have any "light" salad dressing... but he was awkward to watch. It was unintentionally funny. I liked him.
He asked about our matching blue wristbands, and we told him about the motocross thing. Who would have known that our fellow with the Rowan Atkinson physique and lack of social finesse was once a dirt-biker and knew of tracks, etc.? He went on to ask about it, and talk about it... he talked of how he used to have a "YZ", and how there was a man near him that owned a track. They used to ask the man to use the track, and he demonstrated how they'd ask... something along the lines of, "Excuse me, Mr., do you suppose that we may be able to utilize our motorized bicycles on your track? We'd be ever so grateful". Well, that's not a quote, but that was the mood of it. I bet the track owner was like, "Wha? Just go use the track again if that's what you mean, you little bastard." I'd go back to JJ's there, just to get that guy again.

I also ate at the Blue Goose on PEI for the first time. The only thing of note there was the embarrassed SUV man who backed up into the metal pole with the restaurant's sign on it. About 5 of us in the lot all stared at him. He dared not get out and check... he just drove off with his trailer hitch between his tires.

If I remember anything else good about the trip worth noting, I'll note it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:46 pm  
Blogger Tamara said...

I swear I've had that waiter at JJ's before, and there is no better description than "a chipmunk on ecstasy"! Gotta love people who try so hard to be funny, but just don't have it. Good food though!

11:49 am  
Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, the food is good. I should open a JJ's here. You know, if I had cash to invest like that. It's my kind of food. Cheesy, bbq-y, salsa-y, sour cream-y... I like that genre.
That dude was unreal. He was just so manic... like, always shifting while standing, nervous laughter... just smiling too much and acting too oddly. He was a freak. He was a harmless, nice freak, though... so we liked him.

6:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home