Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, August 01, 2005

School Journals

I think I mentioned, in an older post, about cleaning out my room in my folks' place and finding some gems. I think this one is perhaps the most precious. It's my old LA journal from my old elem. school. I don't know what year it's from... it looks like it could be from a couple of years, given the mix of writing and printing. One hint of its date is that near the end I wrote about my first communion. So... I'm guessing maybe grade one or two. Another hint is my entry about "Thriller". Those things will come later.

Today, I'm going to show the cover and the first page.

The ol' Hilroy journals. Was there much else? The only thing of note here, I think, is my practicing of writing logos for KISS and Twisted Sister. I wasn't much for KISS back then, but their logo was kind of cool. I liked Twisted Sister more back then... they had a couple good videos on Video Hits. I have no idea whoever started writing these logos with bones... but they probably didn't have any idea of their to-be wide-spread influence. "Bones" was standard font back then. Almost like that dumb "smile" S that kids write all the time. It's stupidly simple.

Then we have my first entry. Mom said I didn't like to write much back then (you'd never know that now). I would also write about the same topic for days. It's kind of like reading in school. From grades 8 up, I hated having to read novels that didn't really interest me. So, in some cases I didn't read them, and found ways of getting by well (no test cheating or anything, though). I still have a book report for "The Hobbit" due for my grade 8 teacher.

Here, you can see my favouring of art over words. I wrote one word, "one", and it looks like I tried to do something else first. My favourite part is the cows. Anyone who lives next to a cow field recognizes this. Cows doing #1 and #2, perhaps with their head stretched out... as well as two cows playing "stack". I can only assume this is what they're doing. Either that or trying to form some bovine pyramid. What else could it be? Either way, they did this a lot.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahah! I loved the cow pics! I am happy that you explained the illustrations, although I was pretty close in my assumption! I have kept my kids' journals as well, they are great for a laugh years down the road.

/Chunks6015

2:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home