Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Thursday, September 29, 2005


Go, go, go, go...

Go me-ee... it's my birthday. There ain't no party, but it's my birthday. I'll have no Bacardi, but it's my birthday. And I know you may not care that it is my birthday!
Today was pretty good as far as birthdays go. First off, I didn't have to go to school today, because I had an STC meeting. It was a little draggy, but I got some good info from it. Another plus from that is that I get paid for a full day's work instead of the usual 85%, plus I get mileage. Bitchin'. I also got a free canvas bag and a metallic Dept. of Ed. travel mug (which C will get, 'cause I don't drink tea or coffee). Hopefully tomorrow will be a good day of school after a sub was in for me today.

This evening, I finished opening birthday things, and am suitably satisfied. I'd be pretty satisfied with next to nothing, so I guess I'm overly satisfied. A couple of books, a couple of DVDs, a few CDs, a subscription to Paste Magazine (check it out for sure), a little cash, and some odds & ends (like peach salsa, cherry salsa, etc).

C and I went to the Maple Grill tonight for supper. It was my first time there. It was good all-round. Not my best meal ever, but no complaints really. Nice enough inside, and very good food at OK prices. I had the blackened salmon with cucumber salsa and lime, with roasted new red potatoes. I had some chocolate ice-cream brownie thing for dessert. C had buttered chicken and a maple sponge cake for dessert. Well, the cake was for dessert, the chicken was the main course. 'Twas all delicious and good to the tune of about $41.

I got four CDs for the b-day (so far anyway). I got a couple of autographed ones (always nice!), "If It Was You" by Tegan and Sara, and "Destination Unknown" by two people I met, helped lug gear with, and saw in concert, Ron Sexsmith & Don Kerr. I have only listened to it halfway so far, so I won't post on it yet (but so far so good). The two I will make note of are:


Colin James, "Limelight"
I was a little nervous about this one. I had kind of thought Colin had gone the way of Eric Clapton. Come onto the scene with a bang, do some damage here and there with different things along the way, but make kind of bland studio albums after that. Well, his stuff isn't really bland... it's just that when I think of his last disc, "Traveller", nothing much comes to mind. It had a few good covers, and the CD was good, but nothing was too memorable overall. This one is a breath of fresh air after that. Just imagine his sound from "National Steel" mixed with some Blackie & The Rodeo Kings (thanks to Colin Linden's playing and co-production). Add a few hints of other things here and there, and it's sounding pretty great. The music's not stale... it's fresh and has some really cool twists in it. This CD was a pleasant surprise.


The Waking Eyes, "Video Sound"
I haven't had a good stereo listen with this yet, but overall it's good. It doesn't grab me by the ears 100% yet, but there's some good rockin' tunes on here and some good songwriting. It's definitely worth a listen, but I don't think it'll turn into an all-time fave or anything.

Thanks to Karen and Tara for putting in the effort to electronically wish me a happy birthday. It made the day that much better. It's nice to be thought of.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, a very happy birthday to you, Steverino! :)

Sexsmith & Kerr must have been who you were speaking of on the WMM board...oh yes, my dear, I own and covet my own copy (autographed, thank you MapleMusic) of Destination Unknown. If Ron wasn't so earnest and sincere in everything he does, this could have so easily come off as trite, but it's sweet and beautiful. Don does a great job with his harmonies and I really liked Ron's explanation on how the CD was put together in the liner notes.

You know what? I've never owned a Colin James CD. I KNOW. You've piqued my interest with the Colin Linden/BARK connection with this CD, though, so maybe I'll have to put it on my list.

12:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sings*

Steverino, it's your birthday!
Happy birthday, Steverino!

(and so on and so forth, in a Bart Simpson-ish vibe)

I've been thinking about picking up that Colin James album; you've given it such a good review that I think I'll be popping by A&B Sound tomorrow afternoon.

12:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well here I am currently being blown the hell away by Colin James' cover of Van Morrison's Into The Mystic. Oh my. It's gorgeous! No, I've not yet purchased it...I'm listening to the streaming from his website. But that will change tomorrow when I scramble to the nearest music store.

I went to his site to take a second look at his video for Far Away Like a Radio - love this song, too. I caught the video on Sunday and was thrilled to see Tom Wilson playing "the outlaw" in it...he does it well!

10:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home