Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Some new musical goodness to dish on a bit:

Buck 65
I've always kind of liked Buck at least a little. But back when he was still mostly unknown, I didn't take him too much to heart or try to get to know him better. I kind of thought people I knew who knew him and nearly worshipped him were wacko. Well, they were kind of wacko, but not because of Buck. A lot of his earlier stuff really is good. "Centaur", for example. I'd heard this CD labelled as disjointed and a good collection of songs, but not a good album. I almost wholeheartedly disagree. Most of the album maintains the same mood. There are a couple of tunes which differ from the big picture here, but are still good. This is a really good album. A great sounding piece of music and lyrics. Moody and honest and original. Kind of like... a mix of Buck, Leonard Cohen, Daniel Lanois, and a dusty western town. "Drawing Curtains" is fantastic.

Tegan and Sara
This was an autographed Maple Music purchase. Well, all of these are. All of T&S' full-length CDs (3) and an autographed card for $40. I'd be stupid not to do it. I've only gotten to hear "This Business of Art" the whole way through. It's good. I know the next two will be at least as good, too, since I have many of the mp3s. They have some really awesome tunes. "My Number", "Monday, Monday, Monday", "Living Room", "Walking With A Ghost"... all great, as are many others. This purchase is proof that downloading helps to sell more records.

Wide Mouth Mason
My final jury's still out on this one. These guys are probably my favourite band, which should say a Hell of a lot. They're great musicians and great guys. I mean, c'mon... they held a moment of silence for me before a show on my wedding day! Initially, this one left me a tad unexcited / disappointed. I like it more and more as I listen. However, some songs are so old that the live / other versions I've heard of them are the ones I'm really attached to and like better. Don't get me wrong. It's a good album, and it does indeed rock, but it's just taking me more time to appreciate it in its entirety. As always, a great WMM album, but it may not blow you away the whole way through upon first listen. Check out "Rust", "Everybody's Right", "I Love Not Loving You", "Worse Than Before", "Please Go Home, "Phantom Limb", "Eleven"... oh Hell... it really is a good CD. There's still something that nags me a bit about it, but it is a definite winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home