Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Terry Fox... I don't know what it is, but this year seems to affect me more than others. It's not because it's the 25th anniversary, it's just something. For some reason, it's really hitting home with me this year more than ever. Terry is the ultimate Canadian hero. He was a normal person, going through something very hard, trying to help others, and not looking for anything for himself. To be so brave, selfless, and giving, is part of being a Canadian. We all do it to different degrees... but to do it to the extent Terry did, 100%, is exceptional. He is our greatest hero.
It's astounding to think that he ran the equivalent of a marathon (42km), every day, for 143 days. That's a total of 5,373 km. It's mind-blowing.

This year, more than ever, every time I see the clip of him on that stretcher in Thunder Bay, I nearly cry. To see him, someone so strong, someone so "Canadian"... having to give up his quest because of something out of his control, is tough. To see him realize that the cancer he thought he had beaten had now appeared in his lungs... he looked almost as if he knew he was going to die, and that he wouldn't be able to finish his run. To hear him having to admit that to a nation of believers and himself, from a stretcher, while the tears build up in his voice, is heartbreaking.

See it for yourself as Canadians did 25 years ago:
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-74-71-183/people/terry_fox/clip5

Maybe next year I'll get involved in it somehow... I sort of feel as though I owe it to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home