Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Saturday, November 12, 2005

It was cold standing there yesterday. It seems like it always is.
At least there was no snow, and the sun felt warm.
The crowd in Cardigan was as large as ever, which was nice to see.
I can't understand how anyone can drive by during the service.
Some people always seem to do it, though.
Don't they have any appreciation or at least general respect?
Every year, it seems as if there are fewer veterans there, which I find quite sad.
This year, people clapped when the veterans came and went.
A certain line from a Joni Mitchell song played on a loop in my head.
I'm glad that my mom's two uncles are still around.
As years go by, it almost seems to make me appreciate them more, at least at this time of year.
Still, though, I miss my grandfather.
If I could have anyone back that I'd ever lost, it would be him.
Not long before he died, when he was in the hospital and feeling fine, he'd tell me stories about the war that he'd never told me before.
I'd always wanted to hear more stories and learn more from him about his experiences.
I was always a little afraid to ask.
I wish I hadn't been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home