Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I was just listening to some newly acquired stuff, and thought something was postworthy. The new Our Lady Peace song, "Angels Losing Sleep" is, perhaps, their best single since the Clumsy album. I gauge this by the fact that since I bought that CD, I haven't liked anything they've done, or at least, haven't been moved by anything in any way since. Their first single from their new album was the same to me. Rather bland, formulaic, and just "the new OLP". The non-interesting one. When this song came out, the first time I saw a snippet of the video, I had the same reaction. The first time I saw the whole thing, though, I (pardon the pun) changed my tune. I quite liked it. It's an interesting song. It's got some meat to it, but it's mostly a lighter tune. It's uplifting, but it's nervous. The best parts of it ascend and drop in just the right way. The notes aren't necessarily in the "regular" sequence. It's not one you can 100% guess / think ahead during your first listen. If there's anything else on their new CD as good as this, I may reconsider getting into them again. I hope this is a sign of better tunes to come. Hopefully they can show they've regained their health in these paranoid times.

Other tunes I'm digging tonight:

Foo Fighters - DOA
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Ain't No Easy Way
Antje Duvekot - Dandelion
Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey
Coldplay - Talk
Lou Rawls - You've Made Me So Very Happy
Little Richard - Brown Sugar
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
MIA - Bucky Done Gun
Michael Hurley - I Paint a Design
My Chemical Romance - Ghost of You
Paul Nice - Soul on the Grill (snippet of an LP)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home