Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Saturday, January 14, 2006

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back TO you, you own it. If it doesn't, you don't own it. And if it STILL doesn't, you're an a-hole" - Bubbles
I moved into my first house over a year ago, and my old stuff occupies the same niche it did in my parent's place: sitting in a container in a dark space. I haven't pulled my old toys out or looked at them in years. I really enjoyed them when I got them all, but what good are they to me in my basement? I can't really see me ever displaying them / decorating with them (like my older brother does). I know there's people that would really like to have and enjoy some of my old toys, so... I think it'd be a fair trade to exchange them for what they're worth monetarily (anywhere from a few bucks to potentially triple-digit bucks). Yeah, it's kind of sad... but... maybe it's time for me to love them by letting them go.

What do you think? Is holding on to such things just being a packrat? Or is it warm and squishy sentimentality? Should everyone "clean house" and purge the stuff they don't regularly use? Would you ever sell things cherished from your childhood?

I flip-flop a bit on this. It's in my genes to be a sentimental packrat. But it's also in them to de-clutter and unload things that aren't used.

What's your stance on letting go of things?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I'm a sentimental packrat and when we moved for the third time recently I decided once and for all to purge.

I had 30 boxes of paperbacks and hardcover books - some from childhook some not, and I decided to weed it down by at least half. That meant only keeping books I KNOW I would read again or childhood books/series that I will want to introduce to my kids.

As for my other trinkets and childhood toys, I considered each thing carefully and figured if I had kept them boxed up for the past 10 years since leaving home (ie: not gonna display it) and it's not something that I am saving for my kids, then it's time to part ways. I ended up taking photographs (of the most sentimental pieces) and writing my memories down for my scrapbook/family history stuff and sold it in the garage sale or on ebay or donated it - depending on what it was.

12:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drop me an email, I would love to take your toys off your hands.

jason@jasonwhite.com

Jason

11:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home