Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Juno Madness!

I've mentioned it before about how disgusted I am with this year's crop of Juno nominations. There were a few good choices, but, basically, you were in if your name rhymed with mickelback or you were ever on Canadian Idol. The fact Rex Goudie got nominated for anything disgusts me the most. He seems like a nice person, but he has no talent.


More than ever, this year's Junos are an example of marketing at its best (worst). CTV airs the show, so competitors from a CTV music show get on the show, and get award noms. And commercials for their albums. And truly false celebrity status / recognition.

Well, almost all the awards were handed out last night (32 of 39, I think). Some were good, like K'Naan's rap album win, Young's adult alt. album and producer wins, and one or two others. However, Nickelback won in the group and rock album categories. I could list many more (what I deem to be) deserving acts in both categories. I'm sure we all could.


The one that grossed me out the most, though was the "Best International Album" category. The Black Eyed Peas and Coldplay tied. Tied! At an awards ceremony! Who ties? Doesn't the word "best" in a category explicitly mean just one winner, deemed to be better than the rest? Whether it's based on sales or just opinion, there should be no possible way for a tie. Oh, wait... both of these international acts are performing on this Canadian awards show, aren't they? There. I guess I figured it out.


...

As an aside to this, I think Rexy and Ricky are one-in-the-same. It's undeniable. This photo evidence can't lie:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

Wow...the resemblance is actually quite uncanny! Ricky has an illegitmate son? Who lives in NFLD?? Maybe that happened before he started batting for the other team... or maybe he's bi? Who knows. I have to agree tho, I was also somewhat disappointed with the Juno's. Did anyone else find the sound quality to be absolute shit? And yeah... what is with the tie? Of course it's because they roped those 2 bands into playing, so they had to give them both something. Why is it that we have to invite foreign bands to our own awards show?? Anyone?

1:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home