Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Holy Fuck...


...is just one of the many bands slated to play this year's Shoreline Music and Arts Festival in Rollo Bay, PEI. Last year had a good (and pretty similar) lineup, but I didn't go. I won't go this year, either. Enduring the experience of camping in a gypsy community of artsy (& drunk?) potheads for 3 days, just to see good music... to the tune of $69 bucks is not my bag, baby. I think it's a good deal, and a cool event and all, but it's not for me. Going for some of the acts would be cool, if possible, but I don't want to be stuck there for three days.

There's some serious talent again this year, with Joel Plaskett, Matt Mays, The Novaks, some good local groups, and some international representation including... De La Soul. De La Soul. In Rollo Bay. Cool, legendary hip-hoppers from back in the day. In Rollo Bay. Minutes from Souris. You know, "Me, Myself, and I" De La Soul. In Rollo Bay... Kings County, PEI. Boy, that's pretty awesome. Very weird, but awesome. Any time I ever watched the Chaisson family or Great Big Sea or whoever at Rollo Bay's Fiddle Festival grounds, I never ever would have expected an act of the (different) coolness and size of De La Soul to be there. It's just really rather absurd. Kind of like The Sex Pistols playing St. Dunstan's Basilica. Or... Lennie Gallant playing MSG in New York. I can see him there now... "Everybody!! Rust & scrapes & dents & fender benders is our business, come on down to Dalziel's Auto Body! Woo!" OK, maybe not the "Woo!"



(They all just blend together seamlessly, don't they?)

I guess it's just another indication of how the world's changed. It's gotten smaller, and things are available to people in places that they never would have been before. It seems any act could swing through here now. I like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home