Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Sugar, corn syrup, carbon dioxide... yep, it's all safe! This is what I decided while I was eating a small packet of grape-flavoured Pop Rocks-style candy this evening. Was I concerned about my own safety? No, my cat's.

(Not my cat)

You see, it's fun to leave your mouth agape when you eat them, so you can hear and feel the popping better. I opened my mouth near my cat, who was sitting on top of the couch. He was fascinated, nose sniffing frantically, belly bulging in and out with every sniff. He was so intrigued that I decided to let him try one. I fished out a big rock, being careful to not let a wet finger touch it and ruin the effect. I laid it down in front of him, and he smelled it quite a bit. He licked it, and it just barely crackled. He was like, "wha?" This is about when I checked the ingredients. Some normal foods are just bad for animals, so before he ate it, I wanted to be sure it was OK. Sugar, corn syrup, carbon dioxide... yep, it's all safe! So, I let him forge on.

He sniffed some more, patted it and got it stuck on the bottom of a paw. I pulled it off for him so that he could eat it. Finally, success! He put it in his mouth and did that exaggerated licking thing animals do when they eat something they're unsure of. "Pop! Pop!" went the candy and out it came. It sat there on the couch, him staring at it. It snapped once more, just sitting there, and he was like, "What. The Hell." He stared at it for a solid 30 seconds anyway, in an awkward position, with his head facing down at it, face all scrunched up & fuzzy. He tried it again, and may have even finished it. He looked around for it, or maybe for more, but either way it was a huge success. The cat kind of liked it, and his reaction was priceless. Cats & Pop Rocks? I highly recommend it. It's a winning combination!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home