Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, June 25, 2006


Well, my Mrs. wants her sister's dog. Her sis offered it to her. It doesn't shed, but her hub and son are both allergic to its dander. It's a shih tzu (the most commonly and funnily misspelled item in the Buy, Sell & Trade). I don't know if we're really ready for a dog. Well, I guess it's more like I don't know if I really want a dog at all right now or not. We already have a cat and a couple of fish. My main worry is the cat and how he handles it. Secondary and tertiary concerns would be how much extra time, money, and upkeep the little guy will need, as well as how he's going to react when we go back to school in the fall, or if we ever go on a vacation. Apparently he's already house-trained, and only ever chews on one pair of sandals. I don't like what I read this morning, though... how they're not great with little kids (maybe bad if we ever have kids), and how they have separation anxiety and can get destructive when you're away for a long time during the day. Maybe since this guy's about a year old, and hasn't exhibited these behaviours makes him an OK candidate, though.

A shih tzu never would have been my first (or any number) choice of dog. I had a black lab years ago, a perfect dog. I like dachsunds, pugs, jack russels, etc... I'm just not much for the little sissy toy dogs. You know, things you could put a bow on.

On the plus side, though, he's free, and he comes with all his accesories (carrier, clippers, etc.). Shih tzus are also reportedly sturdy little dogs that hold their heads high. They also don't have to be walked outside, which is a plus in terms of how much it would affect our daily routine.



I kind of feel like it's a done deal on my wife's side, but I'm more apprehensive about it. I don't know if I really want a dog right now, and if I want a shih tzu at all. Who knows... maybe he'd be easy to care for, he and the cat could become best friends. Maybe he won't be yappy here (he isn't at his current home), won't make a mess, and won't chew stuff. Maybe we'd both love him to bits. I guess that's why I'm cautious about it. All there is to deal with are maybes. We've never even met the dog, and it's a big change (no matter what) for us.

What do you folks think? I think my Mrs. wants to call her sis back either way tonight, but I'm curious as to what other folks think (about the breed or the situation).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm - I'll make sure Rox chimes in here, Steve - she's a dog-owner, has two little ones. I'm a cat person, and therefore not the best candidate to pass along an opinion on dogs. My idea of weekend care for Maggie when we go away is putting out 2 extra bowls of food and opening the window..... seriously.

For me, the breed is not so important - once you get to know and love a dog's personality, it wouldn't matter what kind of dog it was. But back to the cat thing, I hope your current cat will get along with the dog - does the dog live with a cat now?

Good luck with the decision!
Colleen

12:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steverino!!

I have a Bichon and he is great, so great that I got him a brother. He is a shih tzu/pomeranian cross. Shih tzus are great little dogs, my sis-in-law has a purebred one and he is fun-loving, spunky, well-mannered and is awesome with kids. Generally, if a dog has enough to chew on, toys etc. they won't damage your stuff. Plus, if you guys are home with him all summer, he will have time to bond with you and then when you go back to school, he should be fine. If he isn't, keep him kennelled during the day until he's used to it. (He should be fine by this age though)

I love little dogs and with the right haircut, a shih tzu can look quite masculine...hahah! Since they don't shed, they do need to go to the groomers, but you can keep them nice and trimmed that way it cuts down on the brushing and whatnot.

If you decide to take him and he turns out not to work out, you can always find him a new home. Chances are, a guy with a big heart like you, you will fall head over heels for him and keep him till he's old! Good luck!

(Thanks Colleen for turning me into the dog advice lady!! haahah!)

Roxanne

12:32 am  
Blogger Les said...

So what's the story? Dog or not dog...or still wavering? I think if we were to get another dog (previously owners of two black labs) it would probably be a Shih Tzu - but with trimmed (very trimmed)fur...not into the "poof". Keep us posted!

10:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home