Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, September 25, 2006

I was going through some files in a folder on my computer late tonight. I found a picture of my grandmother, playing bingo at her last residence. Standing by her is her sister. Strong as she is, her sister always seems to, at least, have an under-the-surface worried look about her. It's almost been four months since my grandmother passed away, and now my grand-aunt, her sister, is about to lose her husband. I always liked my grand-uncle. Kinda round, baldish, glasses, suspenders. So harmless and jovial, with a great laugh. Loves to tell stories. A Veteran. I only found out last week that he was sick, and mom says he may only make a couple more days. I feel sad about it, and very sad for my grand-aunt. This'll be two big losses for her in a short amount of time, and now she'll probably have to move. So... my thoughts are with him and her tonight. Hopefully she'll lose some worry.

Seeing the picture also brought back so much about my grandmother. She was my second-last grandparent, and the last one I was currently really close to. She must have been just about as perfect a person as you could get without becoming recognized as a saint. Always, always happy and smiling. Full of life, music, and trump cards. She was (is) such a warm soul. It will probably always bring me back, though, to being in her hospital room with her when she died. It's something else, you know, to watch someone pass away. It's hard to explain. It kind of felt like she was already gone, and her body just hadn't caught up to the rest of her yet. I know I posted about this back in June, but it just came up again with this pic. I still wish I visited her more in recent years, but I'm glad I was there for her in her decline, and at the end. I'm glad I was there for my mom, too. Anyway, I just wanted to get that out, I guess... just that I miss her, and what an extra-normal experience that was (and always will be) to watch her pass on. It's still so clear. It's impossible to shake. I'm not trying to shake it, I'm glad I was there. It was just... an experience that has too many layers to really convey simply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home