Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, January 29, 2007

I'll be quicker with this one. Ron Hynes, Joel Plaskett, and Josh Ritter were kind of the runners-up here. Song of the year, for me, is Emm Gryner's "Almighty Love". I poo-poo the bias factor on this one. So what if I've known her for ages and she's always been a looker? Hot damn, this is a great song. The lyrics are good, but it's everything else about the song that really gets me. It's got Emm's trademark slightly breathy vocals at the beginning, with just a guitar (kinda like one of her shows, you know?). As it progresses, some drums and bass join in. Then, it's like BWAAAAH! Holy frickin' frig, what a chorus. That extra booming low bass sound comes in. Great to hum / sing to. The pacing is just right. The harmonies aren't overdone, they're just where they should be. The song is so simple (in a way), so natural / instinctive, yet so powerful... like a one woman (with band) orchestra. The tune's just about (if not) perfect.

Again, kudos to all the other nominees, especially the finalists / runners-up. I can only imagine how your sales will explode after being endorsed at Steverinoland! If you feel compelled to send me free music and / or stuff, feel free to do so. I'm cool like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home