Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, January 14, 2007


So, yesterday was "Hockey Day in Canada". I never got to blog, as I was away, drinkin' Rickard's Red and watching my team get (surprisingly) whumped and then watching the Leafs (unsurprisingly) get whumped. Many chips were eaten, we also went out to eat. Much chatting and laughter.

I've been watching the weather for Tuesday all weekend long. I'm soooo hopeful... could it be our first you-know-what of the year?

A while ago, Sloan put out a best-of package. I saw it on www.maplemusic.com, where they had autographed copies for the first x# of pre-orders. The pre-orders sold out fast, and I didn't get one. I was a bit morose. Back in the fall, Sloan came out with a great new album, "Never Hear The End Of It". Maple Music once again had the auto'd copies for pre-order deal... first 300 copies, I think. I was on the site early, but they were all gone. Sloan's site must've tipped the uber-fans off on it. I was despondent. Pissy, even.

Now, last week, Sloan released their album in the US on a label called Yep Roc. I saw an ad for a pre-release sale on Sloan's MySpace page. I went to the Yep Roc site, and it said that the first 100 pre-orders got an autographed copy, an entry into a swag draw, and two non-album downloads. I was happy! But... unlike on Maple Music, there was no way to tell if the 100 copies were sold already. I didn't want to order it and then not get a signed copy... leaving me with two plain copies, as I'd bought the regular release way back when. Well, I emailed the site's customer service department (this was days in advance of the deal closing), asking them if there were copies left and whatnot. No reply. For days. Granted, some of those were weekend days, but I still never got a reply. I checked the site again, and the offer was done. Morose and despondent again. I sought out a real person's email on the site, and sent them this:

Hey,

Just sending a note to say I'm not too impressed with the Yep Roc site. I emailed a question a few days ago about the Sloan promo (autographed copy), and how I'd know if I was one of the first 100 to order (there was no message to say "this message will be removed when copies are all sold"). I really wanted to get this, as I missed a similar deal at www.maplemusic.com, but I didn't want to order and just end up with a duplicate, as I have the CD already (unsigned).

Anyway, I never got a response, and the offer's taken down now. I figured I'd mail a person whose title looked like it fit my comments, instead of just emailing customer service again (since it didn't work the first time).

Sorry to dump this in your lap. I hope it helps your site out.

A disappointed almost customer,
Oddly enough, in a day or two, I got a real reply from this real person, which read:

Hi Stephen,

You’ve certainly emailed the right the person – I’m responsible for both the website and customer service. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to answer your question in time for you to make a fully informed decision. I happen to have one autographed copy of the album that I held in reserve just such an occasion as this. Go ahead and place your order and send me your order number, I’ll make sure it goes to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Shanna Oskin

Yep Roc Customer Service
Wow! Good customer service from an American online music store! Go figure! No longer morose, despondent, or pissy, I went to the site, signed up, and ordered me some signed Sloan. Sweeeeet. Now, I was a liiiittle miffed that the shipping was $6.95 US (nearly information superhighway robbery!), making the total, in Cdn dollars, about $27. But, whatever. If I didn't get this, I'd always look back on that as the one time I almost got me some signed Sloan stuff. Plus, I was impressed with Shanna, and kinda wanted to reward the service. I'll scan the disc's cover when it comes in! If you want to check Yep Roc out, click here. Sign up on the site (free!) and get ten free (pre-determined) downloads. I did two on my dial-up already, and they're both good. The site's selection is a bit lean (who are some of these acts?), but the site's still recommended!


In other news...


I think I've made more headway in the "Best of 2006" search:

Album
John Mayer - Continuum
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
Sarah Harmer - I Am Aglow
Sloan - Never Hear The End Of It
Joel Plaskett - Make a Little Noise
Shaun Verreault - the daggerlip sketches
Ron Hynes - Ron Hynes

Song
Emm Gryner - Almighty Love
Beth Orton - Conceived
The Killers - When You Were Young
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Outkast - Idlewild Blues
Rhymefest - Fever
Robert Randolph w/ Eric Clapton - Jesus Is Just Alright
John Legend & Sergio Mendes - Please Baby Don't
Sarah Harmer - Escarpment Blues
John Mayer - Waiting For The World To Change
Sloan - Who Taught You to Live Like That
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fancy (@ Coachella '06)
Joel Plaskett - Nowhere With You
Bubbles - Liquor & Whores @ the ECMA gala
The Tom Fun Orchestra - The Watchmaker
Ron Hynes - Movie Scene
Buck 65 - Indestructible Sam
Josh Ritter - A Girl In The War

1 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

Ooooh I enjoy a good service story. It seems like they are so few and far between anymore! Glad this worked out for you in the end!

mmmmm John Mayer. Have you checked out his blog? He is the shit, baby. The shit. www.johnmayer.com/blog

11:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home