Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, January 29, 2007

"To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!'" - David Lee Roth

OK, Diamond Dave... maybe stuff's easy for you. No need to rub it in my face. I'm trying to take great care with these choices, here!

Album Of The Year

Ron Hynes' album is great, but not consistent enough. MCR's is also great, and totally consistent, but maybe too "flavour of the moment". Shaun's really could be album of the year, but I'm kind of biased in this case, plus, I'll make the lame excuse, that much of the album was not totally new (like it matters... that disc is gold!). So, that leaves us with two: Neko Case and John Mayer.

Neko's, like I said, has tons of character. This, to me, is kind of a milestone / landmark for her. Sure, the sounds vary on the disc, but what power and personality. It's like someone you know. Great, great album.

John's is his best yet. It's the middle ground of everything he's done. Bluesy, soulful, at times rockin', reflective & thoughtful, poppish... I get a pretty good sense of him. Like I said in Sept., this one may be viewed, down the road, as a classic.

These two really are neck & neck, guys. But, just to say one, perhaps... I'm going to go with...

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood. While it may be true that I'll probably listen to Mayer's more, his may be somewhat like MCR's - a bit stuck in this time period, perhaps? In any case, it's more in some period than Neko's release. It's not dated, 'cause you can't peg it. It's modern but already sounds time-worn at the same time. It may not gel as well as Mayer's, but... I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe. It really is unique. I'd be lying if I said the album art didn't sway me, too. So... perhaps I like Mayer's more, for all the reasons I've said before, but this one is a critical choice. Is that enough of a fence-sittin' cop-out? Yeah, I guess so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home