Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, February 18, 2007

How 'bout a couple of album reviews? I'll make 'em short. Promise.


The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Had I owned this one before the end of 2006, this may have been my best of the year pick. This one totally surprised me. The art didn't catch me, and I'd heard nothing by them, ever. It made many best-of lists for 2006, though, including #1 in last month's Paste Magazine, so I figured I should check it out (thanks, public library service!). It's a great album, and it is an album. Not just a collection of short, independent tunes. Two songs go over the 11 minute mark. It's like a tuneful, progressive-folk jam. At first, it made me think of The Jayhawks... Wilco, a bit... then by song two, Pink Floyd (now there's a twist). A bit of The Grapes of Wrath, too. Maybe even a little Fleetwood Mac, folk-boogie style. I'd give it 4.5/5, maybe even 5/5. Surprisingly very good. Also surprising is that they're from Oregon. I had 'em pegged in the UK for sure.

Listen: Summersong, The Island: Come And See, The Landlord’s Daughter, You’ll Not Feel The Drowning (Yes, after Summersong, that's all one tune... it's awesome!)
Great link with more from this group to download: http://www.t-sides.com/?p=78



John Legend - Once Again

It takes real talent to make something that sounds like it could stand side-by-side with some classic soul/pop/R&B from the 50s - 70s. Some of this album does just that, which impresses me. Other tunes have a definite modern production and flavour, and some are in between. Nothing really seems overdone or overproduced. Things are done right for each song. What also impressed me is the variety in sounds he layed down here. One song, "Show Me", really reminds me of Jeff Buckley, of all things. Right from the guitar to the voice. "P.D.A. (We Just Don't Care)" is a fun and funky tune with an almost disco groove. "Slow Dance" almost sounds like it's got a Motown sample, or like it's a whole Motown original. Real nice. "Where Did My Baby Go" is another one that sounds like it's lifted right from some legendary cat from 30-50 years ago. The topic, lyrics, melody, and chorus really make your ears feel like you're in a moment, listening to something from "back in the day". There's a mix of other contemporary and standard fare that you'd expect from a piano dude like Legend, and most of it's good, too. I just find his classic-sounding stuff is where he really shines here. Overall, an album that's nice to listen to in its entirety. No real weak spots, nothing feels out of place. I'd give it a solid 4/5.

Listen: Sorry... couldn't find the best ones on anyone else's space... use The Hype Machine or elbow.ws on the left over there to find 'em!

Bonus: A good-lookin' set of best-of lists: http://www.t-sides.com/?p=105
Oh, I hope this link works at school. So much good stuff to download!

On a different note (get it, music reviews?), I had my first visit from Australia in the last 24hrs. Now it's just Africa to go. Antarctica doesn't count. Penguins don't read blogs, and scientists down there are too stiff... or stuffy. Or both.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

emm gryner = amazing. fave songs: serenade and stardeep off science fair. how the heck do you know my sister? explain-er-ino!

1:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home