Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, February 26, 2007


I wonder about this whole Talpiot Tomb thing. Do they - and the majority of people - really think they found the ossuaries of Jesus, his mom, his wife, and his son? Even if Jesus did escape crucifixion / dying on the cross, and even if he did marry and have kids, what are the chances that their remains would be found, and all in one place? It'd be a pretty big mindshift, though, wouldn't it? You can well imagine what the Catholic Church's response is:



I don't know what I'd think if this was somehow proven without a shadow of a doubt. If someone or some group could prove, undeniably, that all these remains belong to who they think they do... what would people do? Would Christian religion be essentially done for? I'd have to admit that I'd be giving the whole thing serious thought. How could someone follow words and beliefs that were obviously untrue? I guess I could just ask a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness, but it's probably better to figure out stuff like that on your own.

The whole removal of the remains is pretty touchy, though, too, isn't it? In 1980, while Han Solo was hacking open a taun-taun's steaming jelly gut to stuff a frozen Luke Skywalker into, some hands-on intellectual was hacking open what could be Jesus' final resting place. Even if it isn't his, it's someone's. Imagine if it is, for a second, Jesus' tomb. Do you want to be the guy that messed with it and dug him out? Holy crap, he'd be eternally fucked. Unless the whole supernatural part is bogus. But, still... I wouldn't want to be the guy that dug Jesus up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hacking open? Indiana Jones lied to you, my friend.

And I'd just like to point out that 5 people are currently being prosecuted for forging another ossuary (casket) that this filmmaker claims is real and comes from the same tomb as these ones. I think the immortal souls of the original excavators are probably safe.

7:00 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Hey, Sidesh... I mean, Archaeologist Mel. Thanks for stoppin' by! Thanks, too, for the thinly-veiled holier-than-thou tone of your post (get it?). I hate it when people are obvious about their tone.
Anyhoo, yeah, I'd heard about the whole forgery stuff. Plus, there's no way I'd ever totally believe this unless someone could get a DNA sample from God. Good luck on that one, Grissom. Maybe CSI could be "Christ Scene Investigation".
I'm also well aware people would have spent a long, boring time unearthing this thing with teeny-weeny brushes. It just sounds better the way I said it. Gotta love creative freedom! Truth and facts be damned!

Thanks again for stoppin'.

8:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home