Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Saturday, February 10, 2007


This is a blatant attempt to learn who someone is.
You see, as I've mentioned before, I like to look at my Sitemeter stats. Sometimes, I know the people by location, or at least have a pretty good guess. Sometimes, I have noooo idea why or how this person got to my blog. And in the odd case, why they keep coming back! This is one such case. I have a fairly frequent American reader from Waltham, MA. Maybe this person got to me from someone else's blog (Chunks, perhaps). Maybe this person came by once, accidentally, and liked what they saw. I don't know. I thought I owed it to this person to learn a little more about Waltham, and do a post on it, though. You know, learn more about my readers! Plus, maybe I can flush them out of hiding. ;)

I used to go to Concord, MA, on March Break when I was young. We used to stay with my mom's aunt & uncle down there. I loved it. One of my favourite things to do, ever. Nothing but awesome memories. I assume it's not tooooo far away from Waltham. I'd like to think so, anyway (although they're probably on opposite sides of Boston).

So... prepare to learn! (thanks, Wikipedia!)

It's often called the true birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.
Its population was 59,226 at the 2000 census.
The city is 8 miles west of Boston, Massachusetts on the Charles River.
It is home to The Sports Authority Training Center, which serves as practice facility/offices of the Boston Celtics.

Waltham is commonly referred to as Watch City because of its association with the watch industry. This is due to Waltham Watch Company, which opened its factory in Waltham in 1854. The American Waltham Watch Company, AWWCo Inc, was one of the pioneers of the Industrial Revolution. It was the first company to make watches on an assembly line. It won the gold medal in 1876 at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition. Over 40 million watches, clocks and instruments were produced by Waltham Watch Company until it closed in 1957.

Settled: 1634 – Incorporated: 1738

Official site - www.city.waltham.ma.us

Waltham is some distance from Boston proper and the surrounding cities, and maintains a distinctly different flavor. A number of high-tech companies have taken advantage of the lower cost of real estate to set up shop in the ring of office parks that dot the highway exits in Waltham, and swank restaurants and business-class hotels have sprung up to serve their needs.

Downtown Waltham's Moody Street offers its own brand of entertainment with a colorful assortment of shops, restaurants, and bars, including the Watch City Brewing Co., The Skellig, Jake's Dixie Roadhouse, The Lincoln (L), and the Embassy Cinema. Moody Street's booming night-life, convenience to the commuter rail and lower rents have attracted younger professionals to Waltham in growing numbers in recent years. Moody St. is also referred to as "Restaurant Row". Waltham is also home to the original Chateau Restaurant. It is an Italian family-oriented restaurant that has become somewhat of a landmark in Waltham. The Chateau has been around for three generations and is now one of five locations in Norwood, Stoughton, Andover, Norton as well as Waltham. The Chateau was recently featured on Fox25's "Zip Trip" to Waltham.

Famous residents:

Carroll Spinney -- voice of "Big Bird" and "Oscar the Grouch" on Sesame Street.
Keith Aucoin -- Current forward on the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes
Shawn McEachern -- Boston Bruins forward
Paul Pierce -- Boston Celtics captain
Antoine Walker -- 3-time NBA All-Star forward currently with the Miami Heat, was captain of the Boston Celtics

As a side note, it seems Blogger's forced me to switch to the "new" (and not much different) Blogger. I don't like this whole "agreeing to terms of service" stuff before posting pics... it's enough to make someone nervous!

5 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

You're so funny! Only a teacher would research the town of a blogger visitor and then blog about it! LOL!

I don't know who the Waltham person is. But I love that I know more about Waltham now!

Actually, my aunt and uncle lived there many years ago and when my other uncle went there for a visit, he met the woman he later married and they had five kids. It's all way more disfunctional than it sounds, but when I hear Waltham, that is what I think of.

2:20 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

So far, it hasn't worked, though!
Since I posted this, I've had three visits (maybe diff. visitors?) from Waltham, MA (and 4 or 5 from MA overall). I hope I didn't scare them off!

11:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's who I think it is - they don't scare that easy.

I didn't know that much about Waltham - and now I do. Reading your blog is kind of like a day in school - without the Georgetown hall stuff. Namely BT.

12:26 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Hmm... somone you know in Waltham, eh? Wouldn't be a sibling of Superbitch, would it? Just a guess...

10:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool info about the NBA, but I was also thinking of shedding some more light on the WNBA, which doesn’t get much publicity, although it should. Here are some interesting facts about the WNBA:

On February 15, 2005, NBA Commissioner David Stern announced that Donna Orender, who had been serving as the Senior Vice President of the PGA Tour and who had played for several teams in the now-defunct Women's Pro Basketball League, would be Ackerman's successor as of April 2005.

The WNBA awarded its first expansion team in several years to Chicago (later named the Sky) in February 2005. In the off-season, a set of rule changes was approved that made the WNBA more like the NBA Wizards game stats.

The 2006 season was the WNBA's tenth; the league became the first team-oriented women's professional sports league to exist for ten consecutive seasons. On the occasion of the tenth anniversary, the WNBA released its All-Decade Team, comprising the ten WNBA players deemed to have contributed, through on-court play and off-court activities, the most to women's basketball during the period of the league's existence.

In December of 2006, the Charlotte Bobcats organization announced it would no longer operate the Charlotte Sting. Soon after, the WNBA announced that the Charlotte Sting would not operate for the upcoming season. A dispersal draft was held January 8, 2007, with all players except for unrestricted free agents Allison Feaster and Tammy Sutton-Brown available for selection. Teams selected in inverse order of their 2006 records, with Chicago receiving the first pick and selecting Monique Currie.

For more info on NBA, NFL news and team resources, MLS and NASCAR you are welcome to visit my blog.

Michael S.
USA Sports Statistics, Teams and News

7:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home