Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, February 12, 2007

Well, I was 50% on my four guesses. It shoulda been 75%, anyway. That Dixiefest last night was just a bit too much. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win some stuff... they just shouldn't have won all the stuff. Kudos to Rick Rubin on his success with diverse projects this year!

So, here's a chronologically mixed commentary on some performances and a couple of other things from last night.

I think the Corinne Bailey Rae / John Legend / John Mayer trio of songs was the best of the night, for me. What'd I tell ya, hunh? I said they'd be good, and they were great.


The D. Chicks' performance was good. I find Maines looks so odd, though. No neck... not ugly... just odd. Almost reminds me of a more normal version of Sloth from The Goonies or something.

The "Three R&B-ers" performance was weird. Smokey Robinson looks scary as hell. Like, if you took the eyes from that woman on that National Geographic cover, froze them, put them in SR's head, and stretched his face so tight that he couldn't blink... that's what he'd look like. Just creepy as hell. Still sounded good. Lionel Richie? No complaints. Low key and classy. Chris Brown? Useless garbage compared to the two less flashy vets. Brown tried too hard. A trampoline, smoke, fire, dancers, and he still sucked. A lot. He tried to make a big show of it, but next to the vets, he showed his musical uselessness. He can dance well, though.

Xtina's version of "It's a Man's World" right after the above three was pretty awesome. Better than those three. Girl can sing.

What. The Hell. Is Imogen Heap like, freaking insane? She's giving Bjork a run for her money with this garden 'do.


Justin Timberlake got a couple of performances. His regular one was pretty good. I'm OK with JT on his own. His handheld camera bit didn't work, though. His tunes with the contest winner were alright, too. She was pretty good, & pretty hot.

Gnarls Barkley were good. I'm glad they changed it up a bit. Gave the song more weight / emotion.

Why does anyone like Rascal Flatts? They don't sound great, and they look like doofuses. I asked a woman about them at school today. She said they had a big song about some girl who had cancer and went to her prom and blah blah blah... typical schmaltz to suck in country fans. Poor witless folks. I do think that the lead dude looks like a grown-up Wayne Arnold with a worse haircut, though. Also a bit like Al Frew from Glass Tiger.


Carrie Underwood. Perhaps the best current country-singin' fembot. Looks good, sounds OK, shows no emotion or connection to anything.

Ludacris, MJ Blige, and Earth, Wind & Fire wasn't bad. Verdine White, that bass player from EWF is scary in his unnaturalness. He and Smokey must have the same plastic surgeons. Maybe he hasn't had plastic surgery... now that's even scarier.


James Blunt was risky. That tune was played to death. It was just as good as it ever was, though. Kinda fragile, kinda pretty. Nothing showy. Just good.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were good, but I wish they woulda rocked out and funked it up a bit. You know, get nasty like they used to! Come out with socks on their... you know, or something like that. It was a good performance. Just a bit too respectable.

Oh, and how could I forget? Shakira made her first English Grammy Awards appearance, with Wyclef Jean. It was pretty good. I like Wyclef, and Shakira's alright. Musically, that is. When it comes to looks and moves, though, she's muy atractivo y caliente... (insert Spanish roll of tongue here)

4 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

I didn't even think to watch the Grammies, but I'm glad the Chicks scooped up an armload, that's a great disc! I also love that John Mayer snagged a couple. Did you hear what he said to Seacrest out on the red carpet when asked about Jessica Simpson? He replies in JAPANESE that she was a beautiful woman and he was the last person he'd tell anything to! HAHA! Mayer is king!

1:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No comments on the Police reunion Steve????

I missed most of the Grammies - missed the Police.

But learned that Grarles Barkley is a "them" and not a "he"... Lord, I'm turning into one of THOSE people...

7:20 am  
Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, I guess I forgot 'em when I was looking off some scratched notes last night. Really, it was pretty forgettable anyway. It was good, but no better. Just good. Nice to see them back together, though.

9:31 am  
Blogger H said...

my friend Ross had a good description of the grammys on his blog. he describes awards shows like no other...

like I told him though, whenever I know the dixie chicks are coming on tv, I like to guess how many of them are preggers.

10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home