Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, February 04, 2007


Well, it went pretty much as I expected it would. Just like the real Eradicator. I didn't win a single game, I was slower, didn't hit the ball as hard, had my racquet closed or tilted often, hit the rim / frame of it a lot or missed altogether... you get the idea. I wasn't completely rotten, though. I did make some OK returns and got some points. Some of them may have even been genuine! At the risk of both complimenting and insulting Cyn at the same time, I imagine she was fairly... "gentle" with me. I mean, she's well practiced and has a racquet made out of a fancy light metal. I told her next time I'd bring one made from some other light element... like Einsteinium or rubidium.

It's funny how almost nothing has changed inside. The walk across the wintergusty campus was only different in that there are so many new buildings... it was still lacking in the snow removal area and still had a healthy amount of cold in-your-face wind. When I walked inside the sport centre's doors, it looked and smelled exactly the same. It was the smell that hit me. It hasn't changed a bit. Somehow, I also got in without paying. Maybe 'cause I was meeting Cynthia and not the other way 'round? Either way, free squash! Wohoo! I went to the locker room, no change there, either. It's exactly the same, except the fountain is missing its big push button on the front. I got changed and went to the courts, exactly on time. Cyn was waiting inside, warming up the ball. I went in, and we had a brief hi / introduction. The court smelled exactly the same, too. Different from the rest of the place. Warm and sweaty... or musty. Even the drops of dirt / paint / whatever on the floor were the same. I don't know why that surprised me, but I found that funny how even the court's blemishes haven't changed. It's like no time had passed there at all. Sort of like I went to Narnia, ate a lot while I was there, aged six years, and came out of the wardrobe only to find that a few hours had passed.


Afterwards, my face looked like a baby's after a crying fit. All red and puffy-like. Not patchy, just an even red. My right middle finger felt like it always used to, an almost blister on its right side. My shins were tight. So much so, it felt weird driving home, 'cause I couldn't really lift my feet. I felt more sore yesterday. Or at least, more places felt sore last night. Today, it's mostly just back down. Back's a bit stiff, as are arse and the legs only a little. My arm feels fine, really.

So, all-in-all, a success! Cyn's a nice gal, and she may even be able to find people at my level to play against. Cool. Hopefully I'll get to do it again soon!

2 Comments:

Blogger Les said...

Glad to hear it went ok!! :) I'd have been intimidated as all heck to go face off against CD...you have guts (or are just crazy - not sure which). Now that you've broken your six year dry spell, you should keep it up!

1:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record Steven...you didn't totally suck.

It really is a great sport. I really think you should register for the next tournament. You could have played in the tournament we just had this weekend and done well.

Check it out at Squash PEI

Thanks again for coming out. It was great meeting you.

11:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home