Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Holly, you'd like this story in our local paper today:

Tired of getting dumped on
Residents fight back against people they say are dumping garbage by the roadside

Basically, a guy from New Annan got tired of seeing people litter (with whole bags of garbage) on his road, so he made a sign displaying the litterer's name, next to their litter. A couple of select quotes:

(after a Dept. of Environment visit) “They (the individuals) didn’t know how it got there, somebody might have stolen it from the house — garbage thieves. That’s the tragedy of it because if you say ‘I don’t know how it got there’, they (government) have no proof otherwise.”
“This case that I’m putting the sign out about, he had off the top in one bag two pieces of identification, a Schurman’s invoice with his name and address on it and there was a CIBC banking statement where he applied for overdraft protection. And I have his social insurance number, his driver’s licence, his signature. There were family photos in the bag and CDs, milk cartons, beer bottles.”
I like it! Rural justice! I wonder what else you could erect signs about... bad drivers, bad parents, bad dates... the possibilities are limitless!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if you remember, but a number of years ago there was a guy in Eastern PEI who put up signs outing all the drug dealers on his road. That was also interesting sign usage.

2:39 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

I don't think I recall that one, Mel, but I like it! Proper thing for folks to be publicly shamed. Maybe we should adopt some shaming techniques from some Asiatic or Oceanic countries.

4:24 pm  
Blogger H said...

Bags of garbage on the road? I thought east coasters just dumped everything into the harbour... maybe that's just Halifax. I liked the muppet story too. Dave Goelz is my hero!!

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home