Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Thursday, March 15, 2007


I could just effin' cry. My day started out OK, and now I feel like poor Eeyore, with some small-ass donkey-magnet rain cloud of gloom hanging over my head.

Our school got "the call" today. It was supposed to happen after March Break (which is next week), so I wasn't even thinking of it. What's "the call"? It's when the school district's human resources guy calls the principal to tell him or her how many staff positions we'll have next year. Us, who didn't even have eight full teaching positions to begin with, got cut by half a position. Now, we're down to 6.96 teachers. Happy March Break.

6.96 positions. Guess who's the seventh guy in? At most, now, unless someone transfers out, I'll have a 96% contract. That'd be pretty good, sure, but the contract I sign at the end of this year is my tenure contract. It's kind of like, whatever % I sign that at, I could be stuck at that % indefinitely. I'd like to have 100% at the end of the year, but that may now mean I'd have to move to another schools. Even that may be tough, as transfers could be in short supply since 17 schools got cut. Moving schools would suck, 'cause the kids are swell, the staff is great and gets along very well, I like what I teach, the community knows me better and whatnot now... all that could be gone. I really don't want to start all over at another school again. I just want to have my little place, stick there, and go about doing a good job. Is that too much to ask for?

Once again I feel professionally vulnerable and up in the air, at the mercy of things I have little or no control over. This morning, everything was A-OK. Now... I don't know what I'll be teaching next year, where I'll be teaching (this could affect where I live, for shit's sake!), or at what percentage. It's like my foundation's just slipped beneath me into the mud.

I'm sure everything'll be OK. Things always seem to go a certain way for a reason, and you can't get to where you're going without taking every step, good and bad. For now, though, it feels pretty rotten.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's one thing I know for sure, Steve, and that's you'll make out like a bandit however things turn out. I'm not concerned about your 'big future', would just like to see the immediate a little less bumpy for you. Hope all goes well - we'll be rooting for you!!

7:34 pm  
Blogger Chunks said...

Steverino, things are gonna go the way that they're supposed to go. (Where have I heard THAT before?) Chin up dude. It could be worse. You could be the lady who has to hold the shit bag for the elephant. Now that's a crappy future...

11:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of the cuts, Steve. But 96% doesn't sound that bad to someone looking in from the outside.

Good luck!
Jane

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you go.

"Steverino's Angels" have spoken.

(Rox, you can be Farrah - what was her name on the show? Oh right -Jill, our analytical Jane can be Sabrina and I'll be Kelly...)


Who's your Bosley?

3:31 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

"... no, things are gonna go, they're only gonna go."

Thanks, Angels. Heh. You guys is my bitches!
Jane, that % of mine would most likely not end up being 96%. I'm thinking high 70s - low 90s. Maybe higher ('cause of specialty teaching areas like music, etc.). Either way, I'm starting to acknowledge the fact that, if I want to be 100%, it's going to have to be somewhere else. After hearing student population projections 'til 2011 (we'd be down 40-50% in 4 years), I guess it'd be now or later anyway. It sucks, but I have to deal with it. I don't want to move schools again. But what can I do? Just take the cards I was dealt and deal with it I guess. I know things'll end up fine. I just hope it's sooner than later!

6:35 pm  
Blogger H said...

Careers are tricky beasts. I will pray for you, if you will pray that the guvvy wants to take me on full time so that I can inch my way towards my intended career path in the next few years.

12:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blegh. Governments/school boards are evil. This I have learned from growing up with two parents, teaching during the years of the giant Ralph cuts. My mom's down to just one full-time kindergarten aide for two autistic students. I'm pretty sure there was a time when she had three helpers, at least on a part-time scale.

12:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home