Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Wednesday, March 14, 2007


One of the world's great secrets - the secret behind Baker's Secret bakeware - has been discovered... by me. It's shit. C got a couple of new Baker's Secret pans / cookie sheets for Christmas. Now, before I go any further, you need to know that I make some mean chocolate chip cookies. That's right... I can bake, bitches. Now, the last time I made cookies, I used these new sheets. I was not impressed. The cookies didn't really spread out. They got hard and black on the bottom and didn't cook as much on top. "Maybe the butter wasn't softened enough first," I thought. Plus, they made big dark spots on the pans. I was pissed. I did the work and all I got were some carcinogenic choco-chip hockey pucks. I still ate them though, as they remained preferable to the cookies from the "cookie-shitting plant". But that's another story. For a while, I made no cookies. I wanted something good tonight, and there's nothing sweet to snack on. So, I decided to try cookies again. No way was I going to use those crap pans. C said she saw no problem with them when she baked with them. So, against my instincts, I decided to give them another go, thinking maybe my previous experience was a one-off bad one. I decided to make sure the butter was soft, the blobs of dough were small and flattened down, the oven wasn't too hot... ideal conditions. I watched every second of their baking, as a teenager would watch a rising crust pizza in a TV commercial. Sure enough, like, halfway through, they were already starting to look brown and hard on the edges and soft and raw on top. Dammit! Sure, they evened out on top after their minimum cooking time was up, but the damage was done. Even the "good ones" are Cajun-style on the bottom. So, Baker's Secret, I say damn you, you so-called cookie sheet makers... you ruin my cookies! If your brains were chocolate they wouldn't fill an M&M. And even if they did, I wouldn't use your pans to bake anything with them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

I have some Bakers' Secret ones that I used for awhile and they were good. Eventually the non-stick surface flakes and chips and sticks to your cookies. Blech.

Now I am using Cuisinart pans that I got for Christmas from Costco. They are the shit! Have you tried the Air Bake sheets? They are pretty good too. Buy one. They are kind of expensive but big, so you can fit lots of cookies on it. Have you tried flatening them out prior to baking? Do you use a cookie scoop?

You shouldn't have told me you bake, bitch, because now I'm obsessed! hahahah!

12:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, I don't really do any baking per se, but do have occasion to put things on a baking sheet in the oven. I have a couple of Baker's Secret ones too, and everything burns to them. And they're a real pain in the ass to wash, because you can't scrub them without scuffing up the "non-stick coating" (and I use that term loosely).

6:17 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Hooray! Validation! Do you think we should start some sort of anti-Baker's Secret movement or support group?

7:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can two dissatisfied people be considered a movement? Maybe we should just buy better baking sheets.

2:57 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

Well, if part of a piece of music or the outcome of the ingestion of a piece of Ex-lax can be called a movement, I think we could call it a movement.

6:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home