Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Monday, April 09, 2007

Phew! What a few days it's been! I'm going to have to go day-by-day here to get it all in.

Thursday:
Last day of school with the kiddies on account of Easter. Wohoo! We went to trivia tonight, which was pretty packed, and we tied for second (for the night). Every team seems to know that the location of trivia is changing starting next week, but the host hasn't publicly said a thing. It seems shady, or makes it seem so sneaky... like we're all stealing away in the middle of the night, leaving the place to be surprised next week when nobody shows up. Ah well. Hopefully the new place'll be OK, even if the drinks and food will be more expensive. I thought we'd get our money tonight, too, which we didn't. No mention of the regular season being over. Didn't like that at all. I want my glory! I asked the host before I left if he'd be handing out the prizes next week, and he said yes, so... hopefully I'll have some more cash in my pocket come Friday.

Friday:
Made it to church. Other than that, I really didn't do much of anything today. I should have, given what was coming.

Saturday:
I did some sweeping/vacuuming today... or was that yesterday? Anyway, I did a little stuff. I finished a video game to 100% completion. Then, I got ready to go to my cuz's to watch THE hockey game. Now, there was a winter storm / blizzard warning. The grass was brown-green, the temp was mild, there were almost no signs of winter anymore. Spring was here! Then it started to snow with a lot of wee flakes. This is of course a bad sign. You may know the saying, "little snow, big snow". Thinking I may have a poor ride back, or may even get storm-stayed, I went anyway. The snow kept on a-comin'. Even after the first period, just a couple of hours, a ride home looked iffy. Now, about the game... If my Habs lost in regulation, they would miss the playoffs. If the Leafs won, they'd make it as long as the Isles didn't win on Sunday. Well, the Habs came back from being down 3-1, to being up 5-3, to losing 6-5. Fuck. Some more hockey was watched, beer was drank, laughs were had... it was OK. I'm over it. Slept on the couch as the friggin' storm of the year was ragin' outside.


Sunday:
Holy crap, all the snow (Boomer said today that it was 37cm)! I woke up and got a stick of gum to neutralize the beer and chips flavour in my mouth. There was much snowing and blowing and partial burying of vehicles going on. There was little to no plowing, though, as half the winter road workers or so were laid off for the year. Dept. of Transportation and RCMP tell people to stay off the roads. What does this mean? Attemptedroadtripintotowntofindfood! Woo! We found Maid Marian's to be the only place open, so we had b-fast there. Awesome, filling breakfast, with much casual cursing conversation. Thank goodness we had Neil's 4x4 truck. We may have starved at Neal's otherwise. Now, the problematic thing about today was our playoff hockey pool. It was supposed to be at 2. I in no way wanted this to go off today. Travelling from town way out into the country, through some notoriously poor sections of road (in a storm), just to get to a pool which could have been done next week, seemed utterly fuckin' ridonculous to me. Risk getting stranded or death to pick a pool team? Sure! Holy fuck. We, partially smartly, delayed it until 5. One of us (you know who you are, as you read this) left early to venture out to their home that way. They phoned back and said the roads were great, but visibility was poor. I could handle that. No slippin', but a slow trip. No problem. We left not too long after that, and, boy, had things changed. Snowdrifts, patches of ice, total white-outs, slush... it was all there. A couple of roads were totally impassable / invisible, so we had to take a different route. Nerve-wracking? A little. Stupid? Absolutely. A little fun? In retrospect, yeah, I guess. So, we arrived after the trip with a little time to spare before the draft started. The power was off, but it wasn't cold. For the first time in any pool, I got to pick first! Wohoo! So, who did I pick? My playoff picks are: Briere, Bertuzzi, Spezza, Naslund, Roberts, Ouellet, Sullivan, Salo, Stafford, Timonen, Bouchard, Sillinger, Kuba, Morrow, and Rachunek. By the time the pool was over (in record time, on account of missing persons), the power was back on, the Leafs were out of the playoffs, and the weather had greatly improved. All was well. We made it back to town fine, and I drove home as quickly as I could. Good weekend, but nice to be home with C. Hey, I missed her & bein' home!

Monday:
Clean up time. I had to go out and shovel out the driveway and get C's car out, which was half-buried. Not looking forward to that. So, after I woke up, I had some cereal and caught up on two days missed of online activities. But... while I ate... I heard a noise. It started in low... then it started to blow. It was a tractor with a snowblower! We haven't had anyone to do our driveway for all this winter and all last winter! The guy we had in our first winter here stopped doing it, but when our foreign neighbours moved in behind us, I guess they found him out and got him to come do their long driveway! I threw on some clothes, waved him over, reconnected with him, and asked him how much for one job. He said twenty bucks, I said right on! He made a bit of a mess of the lawn's edge by the deck, and whatnot, but it sure saved a ton of heavy scoopin'. I still had to dig a path from the step to the driveway, and get C's car out, and that was bad enough. Took over an hour of heavy shovel & scoopwork. I came in, had a shower, and relaxed for most of the rest of the day.

PS:
On account of the game and then the storm, this was only the second time in my life I've missed church on the weekend!

While reading my backlog of mail from one of my accounts, I saw that Maple Music was advertising Joel Plaskett's new CD, Ashtray Rock, as an autographed pre-order. I've missed on a few of these offers (on different artists) before, and was worried I'd miss out. The message was from Thursday! I went to Maple right away, and the offer was still on. Wohoo! I got the ol' VISA out, and ordered away. Can't wait to get it & hear it! (as a note, that offer is sold out now)

I'll leave anything I left out for some other time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home