Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, July 08, 2007

So, Friday night entailed a fine Gordie Sampson show... with Colleen! I don't think I've ever known of anyone who was such a travelling musical trooper. I can barely muster the get-up-and-go or out-battle my frugality to make a show in my own town (for example, not seeing David Clayton-Thomas tonight... stupidstupidstupid!). She, however, makes regular trips to other provinces and area codes to follow her favourite musicians. She's like a Deadhead, but for several Maritime / Canadian acts. You go, girl. You're an inspiration. By the way... did you ever listen to those tunes I sent? And I just remembered... you still owe me that beer. You didn't think I'd swell your head and not keep you grounded, did you? HA!

The Gordie show was good. I did wish he would've played more songs, especially ones with words. It was a nice, informal, entertaining show, but it did lack a bit in the songwriting/musical meat department. He did play a couple of my faves of his, though, like "Montreal" and "Fear of Flying". He only played one new tune, despite telling us at the onset that he'd be playing mostly new tunes. Ah well. The new tune was... good, albeit a bit weird. "Lullabye Noir" was its name. Pretty, but a little creepy. Seemed to be from the point of view of a stalker dude lingering outside some girl's balcony, asking her if she was sleeping. He did some "name that TV theme", during which I totally guessed "Simon & Simon". Hard one. Yeah right, Gord. Pfft. I challenged him with "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air". He couldn't do it. Maybe next time. A couple of other highlights: he made "Jesus, Take The Wheel" sound good, and a guy I kind of know, J.J. Chaisson, (met a few times over the years, knows people I know, is married to one of them) got to go up on stage with Gordo and do some duelling guitars. Well, Sampson did the lead on a medley of a few high-energy jigs, and I dare say J.J. outdid him when they ended that one and J.J. got to take the lead. I'm pretty sure he impressed folks there who had no idea of who he was or his montrous musical chops. Good on ya, J.J.! Your missus must've been proud! At any rate, a grand show.

(Thanks to Colleen for the pic!)

I'm feeling the pull for the White Stripes show getting stronger and stronger. Reviews all along this tour have been fab, making the show sound fantastic. Is it $42.50 plus taxes fantastic, though? And who is this rockabilly Dan Sartain? Oh, it would be a good show... damn you, Scottish heritage!

Heard some not-so-cool news in church today. The author who I posted a poem by last time is not doing so well. He's had some poor health in recent years, but he was mentioned in the prayers-for-the-sick part today. Without getting into details, I guess he was (is?) doing very poorly. I wish him all the best, and a quick & comfortable recovery.

(BTW, Colleen, I'm joking about the beer. You've been more than giving over the years!)
(BTW#2 - Thanks for sticking around, people! I was genuinely impressed with how many people read and commented on my last post so quickly. Thanks! I'm slightly humbled. No, more like impressed with you.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you out and about, Steve. I laughed when my sister exclaimed "STEVERINO!" in response to her discovering who the trivia-master was who called out "Simon & Simon". I should have known... :)

I'm with you - would like to have heard more songs with lyrics from Gordie, although I'm still impressed with his guitar picking.

And I'm going to shock you some day with a beer! It's gonna happen!

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4127/dsc04727qg3.jpg

Here's a pic of Gordie & JJ Chaisson - amazing!!

12:24 am  
Blogger H said...

We paid $110 for two White Stripes tickets and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY. I am their newest biggest fan, and I hate nearly everything new I hear.

11:27 pm  
Blogger Chunks said...

Colleen, you STILL haven't bought him that beer?! That's like over a year-old debt! You'd better collect before she's in her new digs, Steverino! I have a feeling she will be sticking closer to home once the old mortgage kicks in! LOL! And the lawnmowing and the snowshovelling etc.

Go to the White Stripes. I mean, really, what have you got to lose? 90 bucks? You probably have half that in your sofa cushions...

12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home