Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Thursday, August 02, 2007

This whole building thing is a summer-sucking stressball. Really, doing the work isn't stressful. Mostly time-consuming. It can be hot and tiresome, but hey... it's good exercise, and it's saving our storage building. I'm awfully glad that we have my dad and his knowledge & free labour to count on. Especially since the materials are costing so much! It's up to almost $3600 now, and we started a week ago Monday. This has bought a 100% new roof, though (manufactured trusses, shingles, etc.), new vinyl siding and styrofoam insulation for underneath it, new garage door and "regular" door, two new windows, lumber, nails, etc. Really, it's getting done economically, I suppose. I'm just cheesed off at how much our waste cost! I arranged for a dumpster through my uncle who works in construction. He said this guy would "take care of me" since he sends him lots of business. Anyway, it was $110 just t get the dumpser dropped off and picked up, and the tippage fee was supposedly supposed to be around $40 per tonne instead of the company's regular $75. Apparently, it cost them $192 to "tip" our garbage. Was a tip... er, gratuity included in that? I didn't think we created, like, 3 tonnes of waste. I'm going to call the place and ask them how much our waste weighed, and, depending on the number, maybe tell them my uncle said it'd be cheaper (though I don't want to drag him into it). Hrmm... do I call my uncle or not...

Damned construction. How am I going to get a Wii for me or a laptop for C?

At least we'll have a good building out back now, and it's nice to see the difference as we go. I just needed to vent the money woes a bit, mostly because of this garbage garbage. I'll give a total before-and-after recap when it's done, but here's a taste:


1 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

Your storage shed looked pretty good to start with! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Sick about the dumpster! It only costs us 40 bucks to have it delivered and 40 bucks to dump it once a month. If we call them for an extra pickup it's another 40. Cheap really. PEI is all about the recycling though.

How much land are you on? Care to subdivide? I'm looking for a retirement spot. lol

7:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home