Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Just a quick little distraction from doing up some school work, here at... school. School? On a Sunday? Frigsakes my job isn't fair. After-hours and weekend work just ain't right. But I will cut myself off there, just in case I get all friggin' huffy. Which wouldn't take much. Many job-related things have been making me angry / psycho this year. But I must cut myself off again, lest I go to that dark, negative, anti-school place. After all, I came here for a wee happy post, not a bleak one.

A couple of weekends ago, scored myself a Nintendo Wii at Wal-Mart. Wee! It has provided much fun already. Just the sports game alone (the WiiPlay is only "meh") provides nearly endles entertainment. However, the game that I have been awaiting for days... nay, weeks... nay, months(!) finally got released this morning.
GH3

I mean, how friggin' cool of a game is this, anyway? Great songs to play through, a sweet wireless Les Paul controller... oh, the geeky beauty of it all. Now, I wanted to make damn sure I got this puppy for myself (and now that I have, I don't know how I'm going to tear myself away from it to get it modded). So, I phoned Future Slop and Wally World yesterday to see how many they were getting in, and if they knew what prices would be on it. Wally World said they had lots, but didn't know what the price would be. Future Slop didn't know how many they'd have, but their price was $99.99, and you'd get a free ($20, supposedly) guitar stand. One of them, I forget which, also said they expected a line-up in the morning. Really... for a non-holiday-season video game release on PEI? Hmm.

So, this morning, I made sure to get myself up early enough to do a couple of things before I went into town. Both places opened at 12, so I figured I'd show up around 11:45, & see what the scene was like at each place. I drove by Future Slop first, and it was nuts! There was like, what looked like 60 (probably 40) people lined up. I figured I'd never have a chance there. I went down the hill to Wally World, and it looked pretty desolate. Only about, maybe, eight people at the door when I arrived. Score! Surely, they wouldn't all be vying for the Wii version! As the clock approached (and passed) 12, and employees kept filing in, you could sense the tension among us. Talk stopped or was more nervous. People got a little closer and tighter, jockeying for position when the doors opened. Some people butted ahead of others casually and slowly, but they knew full well what they were friggin' doing. They were trying to shaft people who were there longer. Cock goblins. I wanted to tell them to back the frig up, especially the older preppy teen that came with his mom, both sippin Tim's. He just plunked himself right in the middle of everyone. I wanted to go all "teacher" and line everyone up single file according to when we got there, and try and make sure nobody ran when the doors opened.

A few minutes after 12, the doors opened, and we were all like sardines. Elbows and shoulders were bumpin', and people walked quickly up the aisle to the electronics department. Nobody ran, but we all wanted to. I did a brisk, competitive walk up the parallel aisle, and cut back in before the dept. I did a quick scan after my merge, and saw the GH3 display in the middle of the aisle. Wii... Wii... there they are! YOINK! Heart a-beating and body almost a-shaking, I managed to make it through without being an arse, and made my way 15 feet to the cash. By the time I got to the cash, all the Wii GH3s were sold out. It took about 30 seconds from the time the doors opened. Insanity! The price was good, too. $88-something.

Before going to Sobey's, I checked Future Shop out of curiosity. Tons of people inside and out, all holding a copy. They still had a couple when I checked, but an online check said they're out of Wii copies now. The piles of different versions they had were quite large, and they must've been massive before opening time. I considered getting a copy there for the stand, btu it wasn't worth the bother.

After that, driving around town and up University Avenue was hilarious. Staples? Cars with GH3 in the back seat. Sobey's? The same. People were walking and biking all up the sidewalk towards the university with it. It was nuts. I never imagined it would be so huge here.

I got my copy home and played it for about half an hour before coming here. So far, it rocks! I'll probably mention it again some other time. Get one, Rox, you'll like it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

Lord knows if there will be any left by the time I get myself to the city again! We managed to score a Dance Dance Revolution game that the girls will LOVE and a Paper Mario Game, whatever the frig that is!

"Wii" are going to have fun with the Wii at Christmas, I know it!

Summers off dude, that's what you have to tell yourself when the suckage gets big. Summers off. Summers off.

11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home