Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Thursday, October 25, 2007

There's so much that's gone on this fall, but so little time to write!
Tonight, though, there's a short snippet I could share...

On my way from P-T interviews to class, for some reason, I was thinking about humour and boundaries. Like, how you can bring things up too soon with someone you don't know that well. I recall, on my very first day of practice teaching, where I mentioned something to another teacher after they said something to me. I meant it totally in jest, just as a ha-ha ice-breaker. But, he took offense, got a bit mad at me, and kind of chewed me out. It wasn't even that bad, I thought, but, still... I felt bad, and still do... like, eight years later. Shamed, even. I wonder if he ever dragged my name through the mud after that. Maybe. He didn't seem like much of a humourous or kind fellow. At any rate, I still feel bad, but I took a good lesson from it; Not everybody has as good of a sense of humour as me. Just kidding. Kind of.

At my French class tonight, there were a couple of new people. One around my age and potentially obnoxious, and the other around my age and kind of good-looking - kind of, due to her single-mom status, chain-drinking Red Bulls, and that she had this "Cosmo, smokes, & drinkin' with the girls" look about her. You know the kind. Sunglasses at night, but on top of her head.

At any rate, for some reason, another pupil (from class one, who I met last week) made some mention / analogy about how class was like riding a horse. Like, you had to fall off to succeed and feel good or something or other. I don't know why, but something kind of morbid popped into my head. I thought, "No, that's too dark for these people." But, I was quite funny at work today, and had already gotten a few chuckles tonight... so I was feeling pretty comfortable. I thought, "I'll just preface it with a disclaimer to make myself seem not so tasteless." So, on the topic of falling off a horse to succeed / benefit, I said something along the lines of,

"(heh, heh) I was just thinking of something... I shouldn't say it, but yes, that can be true about falling off a horse / making mistakes to get better. Just don't ask Christopher Reeve."

There was some chuckling! But more like a groan chuckle. It wasn't all bad, but still. Maybe a bit much for night #2. Wouldn't you know it, too... the woman who said it had some sort of relative / friend have the same thing happen to them! I felt a little bad, then. But, hey, how was I to know? It's not my fault. I don't feel bad now. Still... kind of funny how I was just thinking about humour and its boundaries with newish people. They'd better start catching up to me! Caution with humour be damned!

3 Comments:

Blogger Les said...

AH! I know what you mean - I'm always saying stuff I think is kinda funny - or just like you said, an ice breaker - and it ends up being one of those foot-in-mouth comments. I did it to my boss yesterday and am temporarily mortified.

8:35 am  
Blogger Chunks said...

I often suffer from foot in mouth disease as well. It's what keeps us humble.

You're taking a french class? Did I read that right?

1:21 pm  
Blogger H said...

Ouvrir la bouche, insérer pied

8:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home