Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Oh, 'tis the season for this and that, ain't it? Like procrastination! It's always the season for procrastination. At least in my world.

I finally got the Barber/Cousins/Smith Christmas CD I told you about a while ago. Last week, I went to get it at one of the two Lawton's in town. When I went in, I looked around & saw a couple of different CD displays, but didn't see the CD. I looked around the cash registers and saw nothing... except for a woman who had two of them on the counter, and a girl at the till on the phone.

"Excuse me, where did you find those?" I asked.
"These are the last two. I've been here to buy some three times already. They sold out in, like, two days. She's phoning downtown to see if there are any more," she replied.
"You gluttonous, music-hoarding bitch," I thought.

I hoped that she'd recognize my need, and in the spirit of the season let me have one of hers, but no such luck. I went downtown and they had none. I went home sans disque. This week, thankfully, Carolyn found & picked one up for me. In a Christmas-y nutmeggy nutshell, it's good! There's a few songs that are quite good, but the real gem (I think) is "It Snowed" by Meaghan Smith. I'd never heard of her before this CD, but now, I'm a potential fan.
____

As I was writing down notes about the time of first contact between Europeans and the First Nations peoples of Atlantic Canada, I corrected the book which said Europeans started arriving in the early 1500s. I mentioned how the Vikings landed in Newfoundland much earlier but never really spread. I wrote on the board that they arrived roughly 1000 A.D.

"What's the A.D. stand for?" asked one.
"Doesn't it mean 'after death'?" asked another.
"No," I said, "It stands for 'anno domini'," as I wrote it down on the board.
Another student asked, "Does that have anything to do with pizza?"

Now, there's not too many times when students will actually make me laugh, but I couldn't help myself on this one.

Laughing, I said, "Not unless Jesus is bringin' you your pepperoni... I bet he'd get it there in under 30 minutes, though, for sure." I then, of course, had to explain & write down what it really meant.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's probably not surprising that I've pretty much worn out my copy of Jill/Rose/Meaghan's CD. It gorgeous!

10:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left my name/number with the Lawton's near my place. I really hope I can get a copy before I have to fly home.

I heard Meaghan sing with Jesse Cook last Sunday. Very good. I liked her more than the other vocalist, who's apparently topping the jazz charts a the moment. Mostly a question of attitude - this other blonde woman seemed rather full of herself.

12:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home