Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"Put the Christ back into Christmas," say some signs and people this time of year. Well, when you see 'Xmas', is it really gone? Although the English word 'Christ' is missing, the 'X' is still there, standing in for it. "How can it be?" you say. "You blasphemous blogginbugger!" In my defense, and the defense of those assaulted by a PuttheChristbackinner, I submit to you these facts:

Note the prominent X & P, or 'labarum'.

  • X and XP have long served as an abbreviation of Christ's name (what does this say about Windows?)
  • X is really the first letter of the word Xtos (ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ), which in Greek is the word for Christ
  • The Greek letter X, or 'Chi' (kye) stood for Christ
  • The belief that the "X" represents the cross on which Christ was crucified has no basis in fact, but it it still was a shape of crucifix that was used (even though it probably wasn't the shape Jesus was on), and hey... if it stands for a crucifix, that's gotta count for somethin'. I mean, Jesus!

So, perhaps don't think of 'Xmas' as a smear/deletion campaign... just a revival of olde (note the extra 'e') ways, lazy decoration, or terminological variety. I hope you've learned something new today.

This post has not been brought to you by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - The Mormons, but by new compound words and single-line quotes. And, this bitchin' sicko Christmas wallpaper.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food for thought, but I still don't think I can bring myself to using the "x" even though my lazy ass wants to all the time.

Jane

7:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yes, Rox, that's me. I'm still out here on the fringe.

Take care, Jane (ontariofan)

7:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Steverino! I have been explaining that to people for years. And some thought those 4 years of ancient Greek were useless. Chi and Ro have for a long time been used to symbolize Christ - they can even be found on mosaics in Roman Britain. I suppose no one needed to know that piece of trivia, but I thought I'd share.

12:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home