Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Saturday, March 14, 2009


I think of an old obscure clip of SNL, where Natlie Cole put out a record of her singing duets with all kinds of dead singers. One near the end was Tammy Wynette. Natalie would sing to the tune of "Stand By Your Man", and the b&w "ghost" of Tammy would kick it off (in brackets):
(I am not dead!) "I am not deaaad" (This is how rumours get started!) "This is how rumours get starteeeeed" (Cut it out, bitch!) "Cut it ouuuuuuut biiiiiiiitch!".

So yeah. I'm not dead.

I just find that Facebook (which I am currently disgusted and angered by) sucks all the bloggin' goodness out of me. Videos, pics, wee thoughts... it's all so easy to share! But, since I had a couple people wondering where the ol' blog was (literally, two... No! Three! I remembered another one), I thought I'd throw a catch-up post. Or mustard. Maybe relish?

What's been going on since the last post?
  1. I'm currently sick. At the start of March Break. And there's a party tonight. Balls!
  2. School closures are still the talk of the day. Our school isn't going to close, but a couple of others are slated to come to us (with, reportedly, a few unsavoury characters). I think, if it allows me to teach fewer things to fewer grades, bring it on. I say that now...
  3. Still playing trivia! I am, however, making a foray back into hosting. It may be just a one-nighter, April 8th, at ISE's. If I get a good crowd, and they like me better than the other two competitors (it's a three-host / three-Wednesday thing), I may win the right to do it a few more weeks this year and then all next year. I'm not 100% sure of the commitment, but it is fun... and I do like the extra cash in hand.
  4. Still downloading and buying tunes galore... I found someone new that's rocking my socks the past week or so - King Khan & The Shrines:
  5. A couple of new sites are eating up my time, too. FailBlog and My(Confined)Space.
  6. Also, a couple of Firefox add-ons have been useful/eating up time. Web of Trust is useful. StumbleUpon is useful (and awesome), plus it eats up time.
  7. I joined my church's parish council... I'm not sure if I jumped into this one too quickly or not. It's OK... I just don't feel useful yet, after two meetings.
  8. Over March Break, I may try to get my ducks in a row in starting my Master's of Education. A bunch of people in the last several years have done one at UPEI, essentially just for the money (nothing wrong with that). It's a (by my estimation) wishy-washy Master's called "Leadership in Education". Sounds like non-specific fluff. I'm going to do mine in Technology. I've settled on an online program with UBC... just gotta get that application in and get accepted! Aside from personal growth and financial benefits, hopefully it'll help me land a Department job should one spring up again (I think a couple will this summer).
  9. I'm excited about a couple of musicians that may be coming to Georgetown in the months ahead: Corb Lund and Ashley MacIsaac.
  10. We were planning on going to Montreal this summer, which we were both pretty excited about. Seems plans have changed, though. We're getting our energy audit done on Monday (after we already did some significant work in the last few years). Mostly, because we're planning on replacing our furnace & boiler. It's gonna cost about $6,500, (minus 15% and maybe about 15 or 18 hundred because of gov't incentives... making it about $4,000 instead. I know the math doesn't add up here. We had it figured to about $4,000, though, anyway. Trust me.). So, instead of fun travel, we get a much more expensive option of a new furnace and probably tearing up our basement to put up new walls down there and some insulation. Wee. I know it'll be worth it in the end, though... someday.
  11. I'm hoping Montreal can hold on to their playoff spot and do half-decently in the playoffs.
  12. I saw Matt Mays @ Hunter's last Friday and am going to see Joel Plaskett on April 21st. Yeeha!
  13. Still digging listening to Tom Allen (6-10) and Rich Terfry/Buck 65 (3-6) every week day on CBC Radio 2. Best music around.
  14. My camera isn't working the way it should. :( I went to the Rocket Richard exhibit in town and took it along, anyway, but a streaky blue line still comes through on the shots. I'm going to have to mail it away for weeks to get fixed. No fun.
  15. This summer's musical menu (in terms of BIG shows) isn't proving worthwhile yet. The province chose to go with a country fest in Cavendish (it'll make $$, but I don't care for the "music"), and the first FOL I heard about was Theory of a Deadman. Yawn.
  16. You'd like Smothered In Hugs. Download some free tunes from their site. They opened for Mays last week. It was the second time I'd seen them, I think, and this was a longer set. They were good! Two of Mearl Crane's kids are in it.
Let's just leave it there... that's a lot of updating! If I think of anything else, I'll put it in a separate post... something to please the masses. All three of you.

----------------
Now playing: Smothered in Hugs - Blank Test
via FoxyTunes

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you!

I think pursuing the Masters is a good choice...both for personal growth and $$ as you've noted.

School closures are happening in Ont. too due to declining enrollment.

The big summer concert for my area (besides all the shows in To.) is the Hip and Sam Roberts Band playing at Wiarton airfield (a big space similar to Downsview field).

Take care, Jane

9:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Likes this!

Oops, wrong website!

8:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Something to read. I'm so sad I won't be home in July, but I can understand that country is not for everyone. I am going to see Leonard Cohen here in May - I know he was home too but it's still pretty cool to me.

Good luck with the trivia hosting!

1:08 pm  
Blogger H said...

I missed your posties!!

7:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home