Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steverino ex machina.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Saturday, March 28, 2009


So, yesterday, I had a pretty good day, out at a meeting. When I got home, I checked my school email account. One message was from my VP, saying one thing, and in an "oh, by the way" manner, "You have a new student. Maybe (the principal) told you about (him/her)?????" No. No, they didn't. My mind started to race.

I phoned the school, and luckily, the VP was still there, sometime around 4 or 4:30 or so. I could already feel the sense of dread. It was like I already knew what was coming. Apparently, a nearby school's principal came with this student to our school to basically deliver him/her. They'd had trouble at their current school, so now we get them (how exactly does that work... especially when they live in another school's zone?). So, I guess my principal knew it was coming but didn't let me know. Thanks for that! Anyway, the VP told me the kid saw my pic in a class pic and was like, "I know him! I had him as a teacher before!" They told me he/she had a "red file" and that they were known as trouble. I pretty much knew right away exactly who it was.

Turns out it is a student I had for one subject in a former school a few years back. This student is at or near the top in terms of most-troubled / worst-behaved I've ever had. I was so glad to be gone from that school, partially because of him/her. Now, into my lovely, little, innocent, trustworthy class, they come in. I'm going to try and be as positive about the next three months as I can... and to try and start fresh... but I know full-well that my students are probably going to suffer, and that these last three+ months are going to suck. Ever since I found out yesterday, my old feelings of dread and tension and nervousness of going to work are starting to return. As unprofessional as it may sound, it literally makes my stomach feel sick.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

When I was in grade 7, our teacher Mrs. Brown used to have this kid in our class that was a frigging hoodlum. Well, she had to build him a cubicle so he wouldn't disturb anyone else. Some days, that cubicle was rocking! She would break yard sticks, throw egg timers, you name it. He pushed her right to the edge. He's probably in a penitentiary now doing life.

I'll pray for god to give you strength.

10:37 pm  
Anonymous archaeologist mel said...

That's too bad for your other students. It's difficult for the rest when one is so disruptive. I've never heard of "red files" - I guess there really is a permanent school record.

What kind of resources are in place (if any) for a student like that? I mean, a kid with such serious behavourial issues probably should be getting some outside the classroom assistance.

At least the kid already likes you. Well, he/she can pick you out of a line-up.

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home